Saturday, May 19, 2007

My Visit To America....Part4

On Sunday, Judy and I travelled the short distance to attend church at Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church. Tom is a member of the choir there and he had preceded us at an earlier time.

Joe and Judy at the door of the church

This was the first of the three times I would attend service at this church and each time I found it to be a beautiful experience. I loved the welcoming atmosphere, the beautiful choir and, of course, the great homilies of the Rev. Bruce Robbins.

Attending Service at this church is an event rather than an obligation. I certainly don’t mean that in any disrespectful way but to listen to the choir, and take part in the full participation of the congregation, there is no sense of time or boredom.

Later in the day, Judy and I went for a walk on Medicine Lake. No! Not a misprint and we certainly hadn’t suddenly achieved miraculous powers. Medicine Lake is a large lake situated close to Tom and Judy’s house. At the time of my visit, it was completely frozen and could be traversed with complete safety. Due to the thickness of the ice though safety is not an issue, but to me, that had never seen anything like this in my life, it was another thought provoking experience.

Joe and Judy walking on water

At the time we were there, except for a few of the more adventurous, the lake was practically deserted, but had my visit taken place earlier in the winter, it would been a hive of activity. The lake has always been a venue for ice fishing, but in recent years also, it has become host to various artists and other attractions. I believe it can be quite a festive time.

On Monday, Judy and I drove to Chaska to fulfill another long-awaited pleasure – the meeting of her father and her other daughter, Kara.

On the way to fulfill this appointment, we stopped by the cemetery where Judy’s mother lies at rest. I felt privileged to visit this hallowed place and stand by the graveside of the woman that Judy has told me so much about and who, I know, she misses so much. As I stood there, I felt a deep sense of reverence and honour to know I was in the presence of the beautiful lady that played such an all important part in the life of my friend.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam. (May her soul be on God’s right-hand side).





At the graveside. Pictures published by kind permission of Judy

I found it hard to leave this place, but time was catching up with us and after laying flowers on the grave and saying our silent prayers, we left to have lunch with Judy’s dad and Kara at one of my favourite restaurants – Perkins.


Joe, Judy, Judy's dad and Kara at Perkins

Judy, Kara, and I arrived first but it wasn’t long before I saw a smartly-dressed, energetic man approach. Having spoken to him on video on previous occasions, I knew him instantly to be the man I was so looking forward to meeting in person. He greeted me with his, by now, familiar observation - “YOU’RE a good-looking guy” lol. The poor man! And he is, otherwise, so clear-thinking and observant.

Lunch was a most enjoyable affair. Again I must say, I love the Perkins restaurants. Besides, this restaurant comes highly recommended. Judy’s dad goes there regularly for his favourite meal of pancakes. See Judy's post (http://judyslife.blogspot.com/2007/04/nice-to-be-with-youall-of-you-part-2.html).I once heard somebody say they didn’t like Perkins because the coffee served after their meal was cold. Well my humble opinion is, if you have lunch with two beautiful ladies and a man who thinks you’re a “good looking guy”, who the he.., err dickens cares if the coffee is a little cold?

Lunch was over and unfortunately, it was time to say good bye to Kara as she had to get back to her work place, but Judy’s dad then took us on a tour of part of the city of Chaska. He took us to see the house at 210 Oak St, which was once the family home.


Judy looking at the old family home

Sitting in the car opposite the house, I listened with interest as Judy and her dad reminisced about their years living in the house. They talked of the time the great Minnesota River overflowed and flooded the town. A dike had been built in previous years to contain the river but, notwithstanding that, water of the river overflowed and broke through. Town engineers averted a major tragedy by boring a hole through the dyke, thereby allowing the water to filter through gradually rather than a huge torrent over the top. Judy’s house being in the direct path of the water was flooded but with the help of family friends, they managed to move their perishable items, including a new carpet that had just been laid, to a higher level of the house. They then stood in their kitchen having coffee and doughnuts waiting for the water to come before moving to a family friend’s house where they spent the next three weeks. I wonder why the band on the deck of the Titanic playing Nearer My God to Thee, comes to mind at this particular moment.

Judy’s dad told us how Chaska was once famous for its brick manufacturing industry. An abundance of high quality clay led to the start of brick making in 1857 and by the 1880’s, as a result of the clay resources, Chaska was a thriving brick manufacturing centre. Bricks were shipped to St Paul by boat. The city of Chaska grew as a result of the steamboat trade, but rapid expansion really began when the Minneapolis and Saint Louis Railroad was built through the town in 1873.

Chaska City Park

Chaska's history also reflects the influence of the Native American culture. The first inhabitants are believed to be the Mound Builders, whose ancient communities are marked by mounds in City Square. Later, the Dakota (commonly known as the Sioux) were the primary nation in this region known as the Big Woods. Although the Indian mounds located in Chaska City Square indicate the immediate area was inhabited years before 1769, that's the year Chaska's recorded history began.

A beautiful gazebo also stands in the city square. Judy recounted how she often danced round this as a younger girl to the music of the Friday night dance bands (I promised her I would use the word younger).

4 comments:

Life Is Good said...

joe...I love this post..I love the music and the pictures and your telling of these two days..I was there with you...and it was wonderful then...and it is just as wonderful as you take me through each experience now..thank you for coming with me to my mom's graveside..that time was very special..

Judy Roo said...

sorry joe....you didn't write that comment..it was me..judy..I bet you wondered how that happened...hope you didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out when I had the answer the whole time..your editor in chief made a little boo boo while you were fast asleep : )

Life Is Good said...

Well that is a relief to know Judy. I wondered what was happening - thought maybe I was sleep walking.
Thank you for the comment. Yes, it was a special time and thank you for taking me and allowing me to lay some flowers. I felt very honoured to be there.
Joe.

Anonymous said...

It was a nice day Joe. I enjoyed meeting you at lunch. I am glad you got to see some of Mom's history.