Tuesday, May 1, 2007

My Visit To America Part2

Friday morning arrived to be greeted by the thick carpet of snow that, I now knew had covered the ground for a number of days. Despite this, the weather was surprisingly mild and warm. So mild in fact, that after breakfast with Tom and Judy, I was able to venture onto their back deck in shirt sleeves. In hindsight, perhaps this was a foolhardy act because I picked up a slight cold that was to plague me for a number of days. However, with Judy and Sarah’s care, I managed to shake it off and continue the visit without any ill effects.

This wasn’t a day though to worry about such a trivial inconvenience as a cold because today was the day I was scheduled to fulfill something I had looked forward to for so long – the meeting of two little boys that for a long time I had communicated with by internet and telephone linkup. I refer of course to, Davey and Derek, Sarah and Dave’s two beautiful children.

This time with Judy at the wheel she and I set forth on the 35 minute drive to Sarah’s house at Eagan Minnesota.As I expected, Judy is a terrific driver. It was so great to drive with her as she wove through traffic and negotiated the highway with an ease and confidence that is second nature to her. Judy, being the perfect lady, never speaks ill of the other road users no matter what transgressions they may commit. She does, however, sometimes, direct her comments to their vehicles, but enough of that now. I may need this armory for a time when I find myself under threat, so I won’t waste it here.

We arrived at Sarah and Dave’s house on a beautiful sunny day. Davey was still at preschool and Derek was napping. Although I had met Sarah briefly the previous night on my arrival at the airport, to meet her now in the confines of her home was simply great.

As I took in the features of her beautiful home, I could identify places where my voice had so often traveled to as I spoke to her or Dave, and their two children, Davey and Derek.I saw the table where Davey and Derek sat as their gramma Judy, and sometimes Kpa (Tom) and I spoke to them as they had their breakfast of toasted gramma muffins, bananas, yogurt, and milk, or whatever the fare of the day would be. (Incidentally, by strange coincidence, this is also the meal we would be having at the very same time. A ploy adopted by Sarah to encourage the boys to eat.). I saw the kitchen counter where the phone would sometimes rest as Sarah tried vainly to get a word in edgewise on some important matter that she wanted to discuss with her mom.I saw the stairs to the basement where we were so often carefully carried by Davey as we accompanied him to see a video of Bob the Builder.
















Davey talking to gramma and joe

I had seen those surroundings in my minds eye for so long, but to stand there now in reality was an experience that I found emotionally wondrous.Finally, with the arrival of Davey from preschool, the next great moment arrived. It was no surprise for him to see me there because he had been expecting me for some time.

After an initial period of shyness, in which Davey demonstrated how he could run and jump, he became at ease with me and we were soon playing together like the old friends we had become to be. Derek soon emerged from his nap. As he sat on his mom’s lap at the end of the table, he surveyed me carefully and with caution as I sat at the other end and tried to make friends with him. Eventually a broad smile of recognition broke across his face and he called my name. This is usually the prelude to Derek’s famous sneezing game. First he calls your name and then waits with a broad smile of expectation until you respond. Then he lifts his little eyes to the heavens and as his head comes down, he goes Ahhhhhhhh Choooo. This is repeated over and over with uncontrollable fits of laughter in between the sneezes until he decides he has entertained everyone enough and moves onto something else that requires his attention.
















Ahhhhhhh Chooooooooo

One time when I was in the basement playing ball with the two boys, I believe gramma, who was upstairs with Sarah, enquired as to where I was. She was told by Sarah “he is downstairs with my boys, undoing six months of training”. Sorry Sarah but I’m sure you will have them back on the straight and narrow before my next visit.

Even though I did not have the privilege of meeting Sarah’s husband, Dave, on this particular visit, I had a marvelous day and enjoyed myself totally. The day ended with a beautiful meal that Sarah had prepared for us.

I thought to myself, as we all sat round the table, how often I had visited it in the past by telephone link to have breakfast or dinner with the two boys. To be there now in reality with them, was a great experience.Although not quite as daunting as my initial approach to Chicago O’Hare, this impending meeting with Davey and Derek held its own measure of nervousness. Despite the fact that I had spoken to them many times by telephone and on video, I wasn’t sure how they would take to me in reality. My fears were ungrounded because those two boys are so friendly and welcoming, that bonding with them was an easy matter.

This bonding would survive the many exhilarating adventures that lay ahead, such as the day at Minnesota Zoo, the accompanying of Davey to his preschool, where he introduced me to everyone in sight, the visit to Bob the Builder exhibition at the Children’s Museum, the terrific Wright family gatherings that lay ahead, and, of course, an evening at Kindermusik.

Saturday .... Trip through the historical warehouse district of Minneapolis with Tom and Judy and a visit to the beautiful city of Stillwater, Minnesota ....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful posts. And of course, how much you love me! xo And I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! We ALL do!

Judy Roo said...

joe.....go to bed lol.....

Anonymous said...

Nice post Joe............. gee!!!!!I'm thinking this 'Wright family' have you spoiled.....why not add a few photo's?????


Pat

Life Is Good said...

Of course I do Sarah xo. I'm so glad you liked the posts.

Life Is Good said...

I am Judy, I am. Thank you for choosing the music. It was wise of me to leave the choice to you.
Joe,

Life Is Good said...

They surely have Pat. They are a great family.
As this series of posts go on, I will be posting lots of pictures. One of the reasons I switched to the new host was because of its picture handling ability.
Thank you for the comment, despite the the fact that I know what you always say - "A great post Joe, but ..... Judy's is terrific altogether".
Joe.

Anonymous said...

Joe, you have a beautiful writing style! I love reading your reflections of your trip. You make everything sound so romantic, and yet for me, it is just normal. It is very interesting to see all of this from your perspective.

Judy Roo said...

laughing joe.....I took a chance on the music...not much of a chance since you suggested that one the other day...but now I think maybe that was for my blog? we can change it if you like..just let me know..ths is so fun huh?

Anonymous said...

Ya Joe! - Judy's blog terrific ... very hard to compete with her.... but you're getting there. I'm thinking 'Judy just didn't 'kiss that Blarney stone.... she must have swallowed a chunk of it'

Life Is Good said...

Thank you so much Kara Roo for the kind words.
This trip was such a marvellous experince. To meet all of you and experience the welcome you gave me, was something I just could not help being overcome by.
To me,Kara,it was way beyond the normality of my every-day life.
Joe.

Adam Wright said...

Joe,

I so enjoy your story telling. I can only hope that one day I may tell a story as compelling as your stories.

I really enjoyed meeting you and I look forward to your first trip the Southern United States.

Life Is Good said...

Hi Adam
Thank you so much, but it's you great people make the story. It's easy to tell it.
I really enjoyed meeeting you and your family too.
A Trip to Southern United States. Won't that be something to look forward to!
Joe

Anonymous said...

Just as i thought joe....u r wonderful with children!! You have such a big heart.....I'm so happy you were able to see Bob the Builder. Joe, I know you had been looking forward to that for a long time..... lol