Tuesday, May 1, 2007

My Visit To America

On the morning of Thursday March 8 last, my good friend Pat Whelan collected me at my home to take me to Dublin Airport to begin what was to become one of the greatest experiences of my life. This was of course my first ever trip to America to see my friend Judy and her family in Minnesota and my relatives Tom and Maureen and their family in New Jersey.

As the day of my departure approached, my excitement at making the trip was mingled with a slight nervousness, not because of any fear of flying but the thought of having to navigate Chicago O’Hare, where I would disembark to catch my onward flight to Minneapolis, was slightly daunting.

However, I approached the journey with all the confidence of the uninformed. But boy, Chicago O’Hare! Not a place for the faint hearted, but with the help of the very nice and cooperative ground staff there, I made it to my connection ok.

My first indication that perhaps not everyone shared my confidence was when I called Judy from the departure gate. I could hear it in her unspoken words: “OMG you really made it”?

I was met at Minneapolis – St Paul by Tom and Judy and my all-time favourite of favourites, their lovely daughter Sarah. What a welcome they gave me! This was the first of the many heart-warming welcomes I was to receive everywhere I went People talk about the Céad Míle Fáilte – One Hundred Thousand Welcomes – of Ireland, but I can tell you, I don’t think it is anything compared to the welcome, into their hearts and homes, that I received from Judy and her family.

On the way to their house, Tom at the wheel of Judy’s luxurious Lexus took us on a slight detour to see the beautiful Minneapolis skyline. Although I had seen this in pictures and videos many times before, the sights in real-time are awe inspiring.

Tom and Judy’s home is situated in a beautiful part of Plymouth, Minnesota. Tucked away in the trees, it can only be described as beauty personified – what a place to live. Again, having seen it many times in pictures and videos, to be actually there in real life was the fulfillment of a long-time dream. It was hard to realise, that having only left Ireland at noon that day, here I was, nearing the close of day, in far-off strange land. But, from the moment I entered their house, the atmosphere, the welcoming feeling and the thought of being in the presence of such marvelous friends made me feel right at home – actually during the course of the entire trip, anywhere we went, I could only refer, when going back to the Wright household, as going home.

The room Tom and, especially, Judy had prepared for me was beyond comparison. Despite my protestations in the days and weeks prior to my visit, she had taken what was an already beautiful room apart and turned it into what I can only describe as a product of her wonderful creative talent. In this room I would spend many restful nights surrounded by its beauty, elegance and embracing warmth.

I subsequently learned that this was always their son Adam’s room. I’m so sorry for driving you out of what was formerly your room Adam. Tough!!
I cannot leave this part of my post without thanking Maryzona, a dear and kind lady from Arizona, for her beautiful welcoming gift that had preceded me to Judy’s house. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness Maryzona. I am so happy to number you amongst my friends.

I started this post with the intention of giving you the highlights of my trip, but since every moment and every day was a highlight, I find I will have to break this into a number of posts, so please keep checking back to read more about my visit to America.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of you, Joe! You are so handsome!! :)

Judy Roo said...

you know what grandpa told joe two times already sarah roo? he said.."you're a good lookin guy!"

Life Is Good said...

Judy...If there is one thing I have learned about your dad, it's that he is a very perceptive man...lol
Joe.

Life Is Good said...

Aww Sarah, thank you very much anyway, but I have never seen myself as qualifying to be described as handsome.
xoxo
Joe.

Anonymous said...

Joe you're so lucky you found the Wright family.....they seem to be so wonderful and so loving!

Life Is Good said...

Yes Sylvia. They are a marvellous family, kind and generous to a fault.
Tom and Judy's son, Adam, described me as an honorary member of the family. This was one of the nicest compliments I have ever received.
Joe.