Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stop and smell the flowers.....

or listen to this bird sing.

I don’t know if it is due to the fact that I am getting older or that I have more time on my hands now that I am retired but, of late, things of nature seem to be playing a more important part in my life.

During my visits to Minnesota to Tom and Judy’s home, I relish in seeing the huge variety of wildlife that surround their house and the videos and pictures they send me of whatever species of bird or animal that decide to appear to them on any given day.

Well not to be outdone, I have acquired my own special visitor in the last few days – or should I say mornings and late evenings, because I rarely see or hear him during the day. Ok, I know it’s not a family of deer, or a possum, or a wild turkey, or, indeed, even a humble squirrel, but of late this little blackbird has been singing his (I have established that it is a male) heart out on a hedge adjacent to my front door. Neither the sound of heavy traffic from the nearby street, nor passersby seems to bother him. He just pays them no never mind and continues with his song despite the fact that nobody appears to be listening to him.

I see people going hurriedly on their way without giving him a second glance, never mind stopping to hear his song. A few short years ago, I would also be one of those people but now I find myself listening out to hear his first few tentative notes before he launches into a crescendo of song.

The other evening, I managed to capture him on video. It was just nightfall and the quality isn’t very good. Hopefully, it will post ok and you will be able to enjoy his song.

So, stop and smell the flowers and listen to this little guy for a moment. He has a message for all of us.

2 comments:

Judy Roo said...

that was so nice joe.....I just loving seeing his little beak move as he sings...

I am glad you captured this much needed sign that spring is indeed on the way...

makes me think of the song...

sing sing a song
sing a song all day long
la la la lala

if you didn't recognize that...it is the carpenters...lol..(sort of)

Adam Wright said...

Nice Joe.

I find myself stopping and watching wildlife when I get the chance. And I have always enjoyed the songs of birds in the spring.