Thursday, February 28, 2008

Nenagh Fire

The peace and tranquillity of our neighbourhood was shattered in the early hours of this morning when a huge fire gutted an unoccupied house almost directly across the road from where I live. I was awakened around 6.30am by loud banging noises coming from the area close by my house and, eventually, having gone to investigate, I saw the house, which was currently under repair, consumed by flames. By this time other neighbours were on the scene and I was told the fire brigade was on its way. Three units were soon on the scene and they quickly brought the fire under control. The house, which was completely gutted by the flames, is joined on one side by a pub and restaurant and on the other side by a private house. Luckily, neither of those showed any outward damage but I’m sure they will have to be inspected at a later stage to see if the heat from such an inferno affected them in any way. Luckier still, there was no loss of life and that is the principal thing.

Firemen in the aftermath of the fire hosing down the ruin





5 comments:

Judy Roo said...

you didn't have to wonder what to write about today did you joe?

you are right about the most important thing joe...there was no loss of life...

the restaurant you mentioned is the one you and tom and I ate at right?

Life Is Good said...

Yes Judy, it was quite a morning but as you said the main thing is that there was no loss of life.
I have heard since though that the lady living next door to the building was taken to hospital. I have heard it is nothing serious and hopefully she will soon be ok. It must have been quite scary for her living as close to the fire as she does. And yes, that is the restaurant we visited while you and Tom were here.

Judy Roo said...

I remember when the house across the street from adam's house in georgia went up in flames a couple years ago...

sometimes these things are a little too close to the people I love and care about...

I am very glad the fires did not spread to adam's house then or to your house now...

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe- WOW! Great Pictures of the fire- you are really a great photographer. So happy that you are safe. I bet that you one tired guy- being awakened like that. Take Care Hugs Betsy

Adam Wright said...

Always scary when things like this happen. A little bit of interest to your day.